AOBRD to ELD: Be Prepared Before the ELD Mandate’s Grandfather Clause ExpiresBy RAM Mounts
May 8, 2019
If you’re reading this, chances are you’re aware of the last big ELD mandate compliance deadline: December 16th, 2019. For commercial vehicle drivers, that’s when automatic on-board recording devices (AOBRDs) will no longer be accepted for recording a driver’s record of duty status (RODS).
Previously, fleets that were equipped with AOBRDs before December 2017 were grandfathered in for two years. But that two-year extension is set to expire soon. Remember: if your vehicle or fleet isn’t setup with an electronic logging device (ELD) yet, you also need to account for installation and driver training time.
AOBRDs vs ELDs: What’s the Difference?
It’s true that both AOBRDs and ELDs are made to record a driver’s hours and status. But ELDs have several advantages, including:
- Location information is recorded at 60-minute intervals when the vehicle is in motion, and when the driver starts and shuts down the engine, changes duty status, or indicates personal use/yard moves
- Enables notifications of driver hours of service (HOS) warnings
- Synchronization to the vehicle’s engine is better defined
- Automatic duty status updating
Why RAM® Mounts for ELD Mandate Compliance?
When it comes to mounting and securing your preferred ELD, you can trust RAM® to have a solution – no matter what device you’ve chosen. Check out some of the reasons to choose RAM® below, don’t miss this customer case study, and get in touch with our team if you have any questions.
- Upgrade using your existing RAM® components – several fleets already have existing RAM® ball mounts in the cab, meaning you can save money by choosing from compatible components instead of purchasing an entirely new setup
- Complete ELD bundles – with the ELD Mount Builder and ELD bundles for top devices, it’s easy to get everything needed for compliance
- Ruggedize consumer devices – IntelliSkin® with GDS® Tech™ protective sleeves safeguard against the frequent docking and undocking of consumer devices in the most demanding settings
- GDS® Ecosystem™ – utilize IntelliSkin® and GDS® Docks™ to keep devices charged and protected, then choose from a wide variety of accessories like GDS® Audio™ speakers that are loud enough for nearly any cab
- Scalability – when the time inevitably comes to upgrade devices, simply replace your RAM® device holder or change the top cup of your GDS® Dock™
- Warranty – RAM® offers a lifetime warranty on mounting components, as well as a 1- to 3-year warranty on IntelliSkin® and electronic products
RAM® Mounts ELD Fleet Solutions Catalog
With the recently refreshed ELD Fleet Solutions catalog, see top ELD solutions, vehicle mounts, and GDS® Docks™: